Ad insertion is an efficient and flexible technique that is capable of supporting monetization across all screens. Traditional methods that were used for insertion were expensive to build and maintain and also give a poor experience to the viewers. Today, broadcasters are using targeted approaches to enhance the television viewer experience and to get value out of their content. There are mainly two types of ad insertion solutions: Server-side ad insertion and client-side ad insertion system.
The client-side ad insertion technology basically resides inside the media player device, and after that, the video player asks for an ad from an ad network and provides it to the end user. Server-side ad insertion also is known as ad stitching that attaches targeted ad content to video content at the content management system (CMS) level. It basically evades ad blockers by serving both pieces of content in one unified package. This ad insertion platform provides the smoother overall experience that in turn improves user satisfaction. Read this article to know few benefits of server-side ad insertion over client-side ad insertion.
- Server-side ad insertion provides a seamless viewing experience to the users like the ads prepared by these methods are pre-stitched into the video stream. While in client-side ad insertion, the experience of a viewer of live streams is sub-optimal due to buffering of ads.
- Through server side ad insertion, the ad blockers will not identify the ads as they are an important part of the video stream. In client side insertion ads, viewers can skip ads via ad blockers.
- In server-side ad insertion, all ads are collected from various ad servers by a single server and restriction such as frequency and day cap can be easily imposed. In client side, advertiser-specific rules such as day cap and frequency cannot be imposed because ads are being delivered by multiple ad networks directly to the app.
- Server side ad insertion basically supports a single uniform report for the TV channel or network to advertisers spanning all ad servers. The ad controlled by TV network/content owner in server-side ad insertion. In client side ad insertion, the reporting can be difficult for the advertisers as they need to depend on multiple ad server reports
- The server side ad solution is easier to build and manage as compared to the client side ad solution. The client side advertising needs a lot of per-platform code, particularly when users watch any video through an app.
How does Ad Stitching Work?
Ad stitching or server side ad insertion is a technology that allows the user to stitch their ad content and video together on the CMS level rather than on the level of the browser. In this ad stitching, video ads and videos that are coming from a third-party ad server are combined on the backend. This server-side insertion was first created to solve problems related to video advertising. This ad stitching method was designed to combine video and advertising assets into a single stream. Ad stitching help to solve issues related to video advertising and also keep the quality of the elements consistent to assure less buffering.
Today, OTT multiscreen has become the inescapable part of our everyday lives. A well-designed server-side ad insertion system overcomes the limitation of client side insertion by performing appropriate integration with the broadcaster to ensure the integrity of the live broadcast. So if you want to create a unified viewing and advertising experience for your viewers then go for server-side ad insertion platforms.
865 total views, 16 views today