VPS hosting is becoming popular especially among small and medium sized businesses because it allows client enterprises to enjoy nearly all the advantages of dedicated hosting minus the huge costs. VPS hosting represents an ideal middle ground between dedicated hosting and shared hosting; this is also why businesses may not be completely sure whether it is the right choice for them. To be sure that VPS hosting plans will cater to your business needs it is important to understand the pros and cons of this form of web hosting.
Why is VPS hosting popular?
VPS hosting refers to a type of web hosting in which a single physical server is compartmentalized to create multiple virtual servers. Each of these virtual private servers is capable of functioning independently; it has its own bandwidth, space and operating system. Users will use simply the virtual environment and are free to reboot and configure the servers according to their needs. In this sense, the virtual servers act almost like dedicated servers. This explains why virtual private servers may be suitable for websites which need more resources than what a shared environment can offer them but do not have the funds or expertise to run dedicated servers. VPS allows them to test the waters before signing up with a dedicated web host.
More and more enterprises are upgrading to VPS plans because it gives them more control and flexibility over their hosting environment compared to shared hosting. This control is particularly vital for businesses which may not actually need all resources of the server and can allocate resources according to their requirements. The additional costs that clients have to bear for VPS plans are the price for enjoying this control.
How is VPS beneficial for your business?
- VPS hosting will allow you to get almost the same features of dedicated servers without the high costs. In VPS hosting, resources of the server do not have to be shared with neighbors but you can share the expenses collectively with co-users residing on the same server.
- VPS plans can be suitably customized and you are not required to bear heavy expenses for features and functions that you do not require.
- Unlike shared hosting, VPS plans give users a lot of control over the servers. Users enjoy root access and they are free to install scripts and applications which they feel will further their business goals.
- VPS plans offer a high degree of scalability because you can upgrade resources or avail of additional resources as and when your needs escalate.
- To use VPS you do not require a great deal of prior technical knowhow and expertise because most hosts will offer easy-to-use control panels. The host will also look into server management and maintenance.
- With VPS, you can also get round-the-clock technical support to troubleshoot all technical problems without delay.
What are the drawbacks of VPS hosting?
- In terms of costs, VPS plans are costlier than shared hosting plans and therefore not affordable or viable for businesses which do not need dedicated resources.
- There are web hosting services which fail to allocate resources optimally and this may turn out to be an issue when resource consumption escalates.
To sum up, VPS plans are the perfect middle path between shared hosting and dedicated hosting which allows you to control the server like dedicated hosting and enjoy features of dedicated hosting at far lower prices.
159 total views, 3 views today