In every electrical distribution network, you find devices to protect it from the elements such as lightning. Without these protective devices, the chances are that your household devices will get electrical surges from the lightning and fail. You might have to buy a television set every time after a thunderstorm occurs in your neighbourhood.
Use of the surge protectors
The devices that help protect the electrical distribution network from such happenings are the lightning arresters and the surge arresters. The lightning arresters help to deflect the direct hit of the lightning to the ground and by-pass the domestic distribution network. The surge protectors are used to prevent the backlash of the current.
Work done by the protectors
Here is the scenario. When the lightning strikes the ground, you have a current-carrying wire in the vicinity. This is not hit directly but the magnetic flux is created by the huge current passing close to the conducting wire. This create a current in the wire and this comes towards the domestic circuit.
The functioning of the Polymer surge arresters involves the inclusion of an air gap in the circuit. The domestic lines are now isolated because of the gap. You could introduce more than two or three gaps to ensure that there is no current flow in the circuit.
When the current flow exceeds a certain pre-set limit, the air gap closes. This results in the circuit being established. This circuit is pointed to the earth. So, the excess current is safely diverted to the ground. Though one uses air gap, the gap might be sometimes filled with zinc oxide or silicon carbide.
Surge protectors protect from surges
are the latest products in the field of electrical protection. They use the latest material and incorporate the best method of arresting unwanted surges and protect the domestic circuit fully. So, the surge protectors do not protect you from lightning strikes. For that, you must use the lightning protectors.
Different kinds of surge protectors
The action of the surge protectors is in creating a diversion for the transient voltage that occurs in the circuit. This excess current is prevented from creating any damage inside the house. There are a variety of surge arresters that depends on the location and the application.
- Low-voltage surge arresters: These have application in low-voltage distribution systems and transformer windings and exchange of electrical appliances protectors.
- Station-type common valve arresters: This type of arresters find use for protecting communication system and transformer station (220KV) equipment.
- Magnetic blow valve arrester: This is useful for protecting rotating machinery, motor insulation, and AC generator.
- Distribution arrester: This is useful in all the distribution transformers, power station equipment, and cables. They protect the equipment used in these networks.
- High-frequency feeder arrester: You can use these arresters to protect mobile stations satellite receivers, microwave, and so on.
- Network arrester: This type of surge arresters is used in the workstations, servers, interface systems, and so on.
Use of good quality surge protectors help to safeguard the equipment. One must make sure that the grounding is proper for good protection. You can compare the quality of the insulators by comparing the impulse ratio.