Mark Zuckerberg and Facebook’s app fraudulent scheme to excess users’ private data was all the news in the recent past. The CEO was presented before the Senate where he was bombarded with questions and orders to promote transparency. This was not the first time that Facebook was blamed for getting private information. That made it an unsafe social media platform. On one hand, we have companies like Spectrum Internet provider that are used to connect to the world online. On the other hand, those very social media platforms pose a threat to our privacy.
However, if you want to secure your personal information, you must allow minimum apps to follow you on Facebook. Oversharing is bad for you.
App Cleanup is Not Your Daily House Cleaning Ritual
There are apps that ask of you to share more than just your private information. This includes your friends’ religions or the relationship statuses. In these situations, cleaning up Facebook to ensure the apps did not exploit the users’ data would be a tough job. While this must not be the case with the recently developing apps, the old ones are accused of mining more than just the basic information from the users. The social media giant would need to clean up the old apps that will not be an easy task. Because even the developers, in many cases, will be unaware that their apps are still hanging out on Facebook. However, Zuckerberg apologized to the millions of Facebook user for the ‘breach’ of information that the website conducted. He further promised to look into all such apps that had access to subscribers’ information and investigate further any suspicious app activity.
He further guaranteed that the apps would only have access to their display picture, email address, and name.
While this news by Zuckerberg may have restored our faith in Facebook, many are still skeptical about it.
So, here’s how you can delete apps from your Facebook account.
To remove the unwanted apps from your Facebook account using iPhone, follow the given steps:
- Tap on the ‘Menu’ tab that you will see on the bottom right corner of your screen
- Scroll down to the bottom of the list that will appear before you and select ‘Settings’
- Following this, tap on ‘Account Settings.’
- Then, hit ‘Privacy’
- Follow through the next couple of steps, making sure to set everything on ‘Only Me’ so no one else has access to your information
- After you have made it through a couple of instructions, review your ‘Apps’ by hitting the toggle
- If you wish to remove a certain app, click ‘X’
- Finally, hit ‘Done’ once you think you have deleted all the unwanted apps
Removing apps from Facebook using the web is slightly different.
- To begin with, click on the upside down arrow that appears on the upper right corner of your Home Page
- Select ‘Settings’ from the drop-down list that will appear before you
- Once you have clicked on settings, you will see a menu on your left. Select ‘Apps’ from that menu
Once you click on this option, the list of all the apps following you (with your permission, of course) will appear. You will be shocked beyond words to come across this list because it will have a numerous number of apps. Take your time and view all the apps.
You can select from options to restrict or completely delete the app from your Facebook account. If you select the latter, the app will no longer have access to any of your information. This is the more recommended option as well.
Blocking an App
If you only wish to block an app and not remove it from the list, follow these steps:
- Click on the upside down arrow on the top right corner of your Facebook Home screen
- Select ‘Settings’
- Go to ‘Blocking’
- Reach for the ‘Block apps’ section and type the name of all the apps that you wish to block
It was as simple as that!
However, removing the apps from your account is a safer option as you cannot be sure of these social media platforms and their privacy settings. And one should always play it safe. Because, let’s face it, once information reaches someone it shouldn’t have, great problems arise. Social media has enabled us to connect with friends and family with ease, but it has come with its set of problems and worries. Because not everything can please you, the way Spectrum triple play pleases its subscribers. Including me!
Last word; Stay safe!