Immigration Papers for Newly Wed

Are you engaged? Wow…congratulations! You have several things to prepare for the big day. If either you or your spouse is a US citizen, though, you may need to plan for immigrant as well as a marriage. If one partner is a US resident and one partner is not, several immigration papers need to be prepared to make sure that the couple can live together in the US.

As a couple, you will need to file Form I-130. This form is listed by the US resident and can obtain an immigrant visa for the spouse. You can submit this immigration form after the marriage to sponsor your spouse. The request form can assure that your spouse gets a green card by marriage so that your spouse can live and work forever in the US.

If you are not yet wedded, you may want to go for a K visa if you’re going to getting married in the United States. The K visa will enable you to move to the US for marriage. While it is a non-immigrant permit, it does support the non-US citizen in the connection to change their state after the marriage is valid. To appeal for a K visa, you will want to file the Request for Alien Relative (Form 1-130) and a Request for Alien Fiancé(e) (Form I-129F). These immigration plans assure that the marriage can take place in the US and secure that your spouse can get a provisional green card after the celebration. After you have been married for two years, your partner will be able to ask for a permanent (non-conditional) green card by marriage by appealing for the change of status.

If you are already married or only engaged, the US law permits you to sponsor your new spouse if you are a US resident. The specific immigration forms you require for your marriage will depend on where and how you both get married. If you are already married outside of the US, you will expect to sponsor your spouse after the incident. This may suggest that you and your partner will need to stay outside of the US until a green card can be obtained. If you are engaged, you can decide to apply for a K visa and get married in the US. The advantage of this is that your spouse will be able to move and live with you permanently in the US. You will be qualified to obtain a green card shortly after you are married.

Following are the Immigration papers for marriage:

1. Marriage certificate

You require to file the original version of your marriage certificate. “Original” here is in contradiction to the general certificate you might also have been provided at the time of your marriage. The original certificate is the one issued by the local municipal authority. You are allowed to file a copy, but if you do so, then you should bring the original to your interview. If your marriage certificate is in a non-English language, you need to get your marriage certificate translated. The translation of marriage certificates needs to be done in a specific way and it needs to be certified.

2. Marriage announcement and wedding photographs

Do whatever you can to document your marriage, including who was present there. USCIS officers very usually will ask about who was present at your marriage. Beat them to that question by giving a guest list if you have one. You can submit receipts for your rings, venue, dress/tux rental, etc.

3. Bank Accounts

Bank accounts for checking and savings accounts conferring account(s) are shared by both mates. Married couples typically share some or all common charges and income. So USCIS will require to see the joint bank accounts used by the two. Some new couples prefer to keep their economics separate, and there is nothing wrong with this approach. If you do have different accounts, however, require to justify it to the USCIS officer. If you give documentation of joint accounts, these should show motion, showing that they are used for regular payments. It is not helpful to have an account that is technically open but untouched.

4. Birth certificates

USCIS is authorized to examine the beneficiary’s original birth certificate. You want to file a copy of the birth certificate and bring the original one for the USCIS interview. If you have an extra original birth certificate it is okay to file it with your initial file, but if you only have one, and they are difficult to obtain, submit a copy and bring the original to your interview.

5. Criminal records

If you have ever been convicted or arrested anywhere in the world you will likely need to provide documentation of the event. Even “minor” criminal assaults can have disastrous consequences for immigration cases. We suggest you speak to a lawyer before filing your case, as a criminal record may make your application to be rejected and can lead to deportation.

Leave a Reply