Super long hair has its own charm and beauty. It is not a secret that short hair takes time to grow, especially for those who frequently get their hair chopped or went for a full shave. If you want to jump on the bandwagon of long hair trend, when you can’t wait for your short hair to grow out – extension is an alternative.
However, before you sign up for hair extensions in Brooklyn, here are a few things you should know.
Types of hair extension
Hair extension is not limited to just one procedure. They vary in how they are applied. Common hair extension application includes micro-link hair extension, tape hair extension, fusion extensions, etc.
- Micro-link hair extensions – Also known as loop hair extension, they are applied by looping. The extensions are clamped down with a pair of pliers and metal bead.
- Weave hair extension – Weave hair is applied by braiding the natural hair into a cornrow. The extra length is attached using a needle and cotton thread.
- Tape-in hair extension – These are a semi-permanent extension which is pre-taped and sandwiched on either side of the natural hair.
- Pre-bonded extensions – Known as fusion hair extensions, they are attached to natural hair using different kinds of adhesive, for example, keratin and glue.
- Clip-in extensions – They are the least damaging to hair if applied in the right way as they are not attached to a braid. Quick to install, they are clipped to hair.
- Not waving extensions – It is a weaving technique where a net is sewn on the base of the cornrows and weave extensions are stitched to the net. This eliminates additional stress on the hair.
- Crochet extensions – In this technique, extensions are not sewn to the braids but applied using a latch hook needle.
Things to take care
Get the right color match – getting the right color match is the key. Even a small discrepancy in the shade can give a look that you are wearing faux hair. The most accurate way is to match with the ends of your locks and not the roots. So, go with the color which is the most prominent in your natural hair.
Synthetic extensions are the most affordable hair extensions available. But they tangle easily, and due to their super shine, they look obviously unnatural. Non-virgin hair means that it has been processed or dyed or treated to alter its texture – so it doesn’t look natural. Ensure that you get an extension of the highest quality and closest to your real hair. Don’t opt for a cheaper option.
Just like your natural hair, the extension needs regular care, washing, and pampering. Give your hair a good wash and dry them on a towel. Before washing clip-ins, remove them, comb your tangles. Use a good quality shampoo and conditioner. Blot your hair dry with a readily absorbent towel and let them dry naturally. For tape-on and keratin extension, use a mild shampoo.
Following these steps will help you get the right hair extension.