Basmati rice is a special long grained rice, native to the Indian subcontinent. It has soft, chewy texture, unique flavor and fragrant aroma. There are two types; Brown and White.
Brown rice is the best Basmati rice, rich in fiber and nutrients. All Basmati rice is a good source of energy due to high carbohydrates content. It is rich in fiber, Vitamins (Thiamine, Niacin, riboflavin) and Minerals (Iron, magnesium). Though it has not much protein content, it contains all 8 essential amino acids. It is low in cholesterol, fat and sodium making it suited for cardio-vascular health and weight management.
Apart from nutritional value, the fragrance and delicious flavor make it ideal for many recipes, around the world. Here are two such recipes:
Murgh Koftey Ki Biryani
- Bone less chicken leg- 800 gm
- Chopped green chili -2 tsp
- Chopped onions-8
- Chopped ginger -3 tsp
- Chopped coriander-4 tbsp.
- Eggs -6
- Nutmeg powder- 1 tsp
- Mace powder-1tsp
- Mutton kidney fat-200 gm
- Mutton stock -2 litres
- Salt – according to taste
- Green cardamom -8
- Black cardamom -6
- Bay leaves -5
- Cinnamon sticks -3
- Mace, whole-4
- Cumin seeds-1 tsp
- Brown onions-1 cup
- Chopped mint-3 tbsp.
- Slit green chilies-10
- Yogurt-1 kg
- Saffron -1tsp
- Fennel seeds-2tsp
- Soaked basmati rice-400 gm
- Ghee-1 cup
- Cream-1 cup
- Milk -1 and a half cups
- Take a pan. Add chicken legs, chopped pieces of green chili, ginger, onion, eggs, coriander, mace powder, nutmeg powder and kidney fat. Mix well.
- When chicken is cooked, allow to cool and make a mince. Mix properly. Rub with salt.
- In another pan, add mutton stock. To this, add whole spices, mint, brown onion, slit green chilies and salt. Allow to simmer.
- Make chicken mince into small balls and blanch in stock. Set aside.
- In the stock that remains, add half the saffron, yogurt, salt and fennel seeds.
- Allow to simmer and add the soaked basmati rice. Allow to cook for some time.
- Add to this cream, ghee, mint, milk, remaining saffron and brown onion.
- Cook rice under cover and serve with blanched mince balls of chicken.
Zafrani Pulao: (Recipe by Chef Aditya Bal)
- Butter-2 tbsp.
- Ghee-1 tbsp.
- Green cardamom-10
- Almonds-25 gm
- Cashews-25 gm
- Raisins-25 gm
- Semi-cooked basmati- 1kg
- Sugar-100 gm
- Milk-500 gm
- Cream -50 gm
- Saffron-a pinch
- Add butter to a pan. Fold in ghee.
- Throw in raisins, cashew, almonds and stir constantly for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add semi-cooked basmati rice and combine well.
- Add cream and milk in a pan and cook for 5 minutes
- Add sugar and stir for 2 minutes
- Add saffron and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Pour this milk on the rice. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Serve hot.
These are two recipes that use basmati rice. Though Basmati white rice is more popular, best basmati brown rice is more nutritious. Both are rich in aroma and flavour.
988 total views, 3 views today