Today a number of industries and manufacturing as well as processing units are adopting belt conveyors for the very common reason that they are low in maintenance and helps increase production. But of course, there are also many other advantages because of which belt conveyor has become one of the most commonly used technique in many of the industries.
Before knowing about the various advantages of the belt conveyor, it is important to know some of the basic details of the same.
Different Types of Belt Conveyor
The belt conveyor mainly comprises of three different parts and these are the frame or the structure, the belt and the rollers. There are various belt conveyors available today, that are used by different units depending upon their operations. Four of the most common belt conveyors available are:
- Fabric or Plied based conveyors,
- Modular belting conveyors,
- Homogenous belt conveyors,
- Round belt conveyors.
Though almost all the manufacturing and processing units make use of belt conveyor, but some of the most common industries where such conveyors are used are pharmaceutical and food industries, stamping and automotive industries, packaging and print industries, and many others.
Advantages of Belt Conveyor
Different units make use of the conveyor belts in different ways. Among the various advantages that the conveyor has, some of the most important ones are tracked down here.
- Handling of Bulk Materials: One of the most common advantages of belt conveyor is handling of bulk materials. Transporting items like cement and coal at times can become difficult if it is done manually or using some other technique. But it becomes easy to fill in huge sacs with cement, sand or coal or any other such materials and load them on the belt conveyors to transport them from the mines or the manufacturing units to some other place.
- Fast and Huge Transport of Materials: The belt conveyors are capable of handling transport of about 10,000 tons of materials in one hour. This means that they are capable of loading and unloading of ships in a small span of time. They are also excellent in transporting materials within some kind of processing that is already taking place.
- Best for All Materials: When it is a belt conveyor, you can be sure that you can transport materials of all sizes and shapes from one place to another. The material can be horizontal or diagonal in shape, but transferring it from one place to another is not difficult with the help of such kind of conveyors.
- Stocking Piles: The conveyor belts are also useful in stocking up piles of materials at one particular place. It can be piles of wood or some other similar materials that is needed for some manufacturing or processing unit. It is very useful in carrying piles of raw materials to some plant for processing.
- Lesser Power: Normally, belt conveyors require lesser amount of horsepower in comparison to some other types of conveyors. Hence, you get the benefit of huge amount of work being done and that also with lesser amount of power resource being consumed.
- Durable in Nature: The belt conveyors are made in such way that they are almost free from any kind of major damage such as abrasion or rust. This makes them durable in nature in comparison to other conveyor types available. Also, the belts are resistant to oil in food industries.
Conveying system has been now introduced in almost all the industries for its potentiality. But now a number of industries are going for belt conveyors for its various benefits such as low maintenance, low need of power and of course its heavy-duty performance and speed.